Facebook’s policy is to convert accounts of the deceased into “memorialized” accounts, but immediate family members with the correct documentation are able to request that an account be removed entirely.
Facebook provides the following information:
Report a Deceased Person
How do I report a deceased person or an account that needs to be memorialized?
Memorializing the account:
Memorialized accounts are a place for friends and family to gather and share memories after a person has passed away. Memorializing an account also helps keep it secure by preventing anyone from logging into it. If Facebook is made aware that a person has passed away, it's our policy to memorialize the account. Learn more about what happens to a memorialized account. Please keep in mind that we can't provide login information for someone else's account even under these circumstances. It's always against Facebook's policies to log into another person's account. To report a profile to be memorialized, please contact us.
Removing the account:
Verified immediate family members may request the removal of a loved one’s account from Facebook.
What will happen to my account if I pass away?
You can tell us in advance whether you’d like to have your account memorialized or permanently deleted from Facebook.
Memorialized accounts are a place for friends and family to gather and share memories after a person has passed away. Memorialized accounts have the following key features:
- The word Remembering will be shown next to the person's name on their profile
- Depending on the privacy settings of the account, friends can share memories on the memorialized Timeline
- Content the person shared (ex: photos, posts) stays on Facebook and is visible to the audience it was shared with
- Memorialized profiles don't appear in public spaces such as in suggestions for People You May Know, ads or birthday reminders
- No one can log into a memorialized account
- Memorialized accounts that don't have a legacy contact can't be changed
- Pages with a sole admin whose account was memorialized will be removed from Facebook if we receive a valid request
Deleting Your Account
You can choose to have your account permanently deleted should you pass away. To do this: 1. From the top right of Facebook, click and select Settings 2. From the left menu, click Security 3. Click Legacy Contact 4. Check the box below Account Deletion and follow the on-screen instructions
For Friends and Family
If you'd like to create an additional place for people on Facebook to share memories of your loved one, we suggest creating a group. Learn how to request the memorialization of an account or how to request the removal of a deceased person's account from Facebook.
Why can't I log into a memorialized account?
When someone with a Facebook account passes away, we memorialize their account if we receive a request to do so. For security reasons, no one can log into a memorialized account. Please keep in mind that it's always against the Facebook Terms to log into another person's account. We'll only be able to give you access to an account if we can verify that it’s your own account. If you believe we've mistakenly memorialized your account, please let us know.